Even the most simple of holidays should be celebrated… Happy Potato Chip Day! Enjoy a bag of crisp goodness today. Here at Magnum, we’ve set up four chip stations throughout 4801 — North Breakroom, Customer Service, Marketing and Retail Breakroom.
And while you’re munching away, enjoy these 10 fun facts about potato chips!
- Potato chips date back to 1853. An unhappy customer at a restaurant in Saratoga Springs, NY kept returning his fried potatoes to the chef, requesting they be prepared much thinner. The chef sliced them so thin that they could not be eaten with a fork. Thus was born the potato chip.
- It wasn’t until the early 20th century that potato chips expanded from restaurant food and started selling in bags.
- Flavored chips were born in the 1950′s by a small independent manufacturer who then sold the concept to the larger corporations.
- As junk food goes, potato chips contain only 3 ingredients (potatoes, oil, salt) and are considered by some nutritionists the lesser of savory evils.
- Potato chips sales are over $15 billion (!!!) a year worldwide. They tally up about one third of all savory snacks.
- While we call them potato chips, our overseas friends use the word crisps.
- A single serving of potato chips, 1 ounce, contains only 150 calories, 10 grams of fat and 180mg of salt. That’s less than 10% of the daily calories of most people, about 15% of the fat, and 8% of the maximum sodium intake.
- Problem is that most people don’t stop at one serving. Honestly, are 11 chips enough for you? People can wolf down 5 times that amount in sitting, dip not included…
- One of the most popular flavored potato chip varieties is Sour Cream and Onion. Compared to just 3 ingredients in the original version, this one has… well, we don’t need to talk ingredients. Just indulge!
- Just in case you were wondering, this national holiday does not appear in congressional records. It’s just another made up holiday by snack food industry marketing geniuses.
SOURCE: Fooducate 2011
So the big question today is… what is YOUR favorite bag of potato chips?